Hale Pet Door In Glass Installation Pet Door
Why Buy From Pet Pro Supply Co?
Get a Hale Pet Door today so you can quit being the doorman for your dogs and cats!
Need help finding the best size? Call or E-mail us and we'll help you find the right size for your cat or dog!
All Hale pet doors are ultra high-end products that utilize the highest quality material and are designed with meticulous attention to detail. Don't waste money on cheap pet doors that use materials of lower quality - they won't last you more than a few months. A Hale pet door lasts owners many, many years with regular use. On top of that, Hale helps owners save on energy bills compared to other pet doors, because Hale doors have flaps with the highest rating for insulation and sealing! You can rest assured knowing that this is an investment that your pet will appreciate for years to come.
*Note: This model can only be installed in GLASS and requires you to replace your glass with glass that has been cut for the dog door then tempered -- requires professional installation by a glazier. For wall installations, see our Hale Wall Mounted Pet Door. For door installations, see our Hale Door Mounted Pet Door.
Hale In Glass Model Pet Door
The Hale Pet Door “In Glass Model” is designed to be installed directly into a pane of glass. It is the most attractive and unobtrusive option for glass door or window installation. The single pane model is used with 3/16” tempered safety glass and the double pane model is a specially modified door model used with tempered insulated glass units of any thickness. This application requires replacing the entire pane of glass and therefore, professional glass cutting and installation is required.
Quality, energy efficiency, safety and security are priorities with Hale. As are all models, the In Glass Model has been rated highest in insulating and sealing capabilities, insuring protection against wind and insect intrusion.
Why Hale Pet Doors are the Best
- Strong, Durable, and Long Lasting - Hale Pet Doors will not break on you, unlike cheaper doors. The frames are made of extruded aluminum with steel reinforced corners, and are far superior to plastic or pressed metal frames. The door Flaps are made of PVC vinyl, stronger and longer lasting than most other commonly used materials.
- Maximum Energy Efficiency Saves Money - The weather resistant Flaps combined with ultra strong alnico magnets and nylon pile weather-stripping provide great protection from the wind and weather. The double flap option also provides additional insulation in even the harshest of climates.
- Secures Your Home - All doors include a shock, impact, and fire resistant King Starboard Polymer security cover to keep out intruders and pests alike! Covers are secured with a reliably strong steel pin lock attached to the frame itself (unlike many other pet doors) preventing the lock from being opened from the outside.
- Keeps Your House and Door Dry and Clean - The included rain cap, rain resistant cover and flap, and caulking all work in harmony to prevent any your home from water intrusion. They also help protect from wind, dust, debris, and the elements.
- Easy, Worry Free Support - Experienced technicians are available by phone for installation or technical consultation. Also, all Hale Pet Doors include a comprehensive 5 year, no fault warranty!
- Made in the U.S.A. - All Hale Pet Doors are manufactured in the United States with the greatest attention to detail.
- Flap Size: 12 standard sizes available from small to giant. Use the Size Chart above, or click on the Sizing & Measuring tab for more details.
- Pane/Flap Configuration: If you are installing into 3/16" thick glass, please choose our single pane/single flap option. If you are installing into any other thickness of glass unit, please choose one of our double pane options. We recommend our double flap pet door for energy efficiency.
- Optional Training Flap - Additional flap, use initially when pet is timid and getting used to the pet door. If you order this at the same time as you order your door, we will install it for you at the factory and send the regular flaps (pre-drilled for ease of installation) in addition to your door.
- Frame Color: Available in four color choices. Note, the Security Cover color will be a complimentary color, very close to the color of the frame.
- Beige - hard coat paint, looks like coffee with a couple of creamers added.
- Brushed Aluminum - anodized metal, satin nickel color, looks like the bottom of a Coke can.
- Dark Bronze - anodized metal, chocolate brown, looks almost black in dimmer light.
- White - white hard coat paint.
- Mixed Frame Color - In the shopping cart Special Instructions section, just write in the color you would like for the Exterior Frame, the color for the Interior Frame.
- Security Cover Load Direction: Standard top loading. Also available in side loading model if there is an obstruction above door.
- Glass Thickness: Please supply the overall glass thickness of the unit. We will supply comp strips to match this thickness. On the double pane model, we will supply the appropriate size build-out to complement this thickness.
Hale Pet Door Size Chart - A Size to Fit Any Animal and Application
The easiest way to test flap size for your pet is to cut a hole in a piece of cardboard that is the size of the flap you are interested in, then coax your pet through (use treats if necessary). Place the cardboard in the opening of a door so they have to walk through the hole to get to the reward! See what flap size works best, so you know what flap size to buy for the most comfortable configuration for your pet.
Click on the Sizing & Measuring tab for more details on how to measure the right size for your pet.
|Size||Flap Opening (W x H)||Rough Opening (W x H)||Tip to Tip (W x H)||Pet Weight||Pet Shoulder Height||Breed Examples|
|Small||5 1/2" x 7 1/2"||7 3/8" x 9 3/8"||8 3/8" x 10 3/8"||Very small cats up to 8 lbs.||Up to 7"||Cats (very small only)|
|Small Medium||6 1/2" x 9 1/2"||8 1/2" x 11 1/2"||9 9/16" x 12 9/16"||Most cats, small dogs 6-12 lbs.||9"-13"||Cats, Chihuahua, Dachshund, Mini Poodle|
|Tall Small Medium||6 1/2" x 12 1/2"||8 1/2" x 14 1/2"||9 9/16" x 15 3/8"||Small, tall dogs 12-25 lbs.||12"-15"||Mini Pinscher, Some Terriers, Maltese|
|Medium||8 1/2" x 12 1/2"||10 1/2" x 14 1/2"||11 9/16" x 15 3/8"||Dogs 10-35 lbs.||12"-15"||Terriers, Pug, Corgi, Shiba Inu|
|Tall Medium||8 1/2" x 16"||10 1/2" x 18"||11 9/16" x 19 1/16"||Tall Dogs 30-45 lbs.||15"-20"||Cocker Spaniel, Sheltie, Beagle|
|Large||11" x 16"||13" x 18"||14 1/16" x 19 1/16"||Dogs 40-55 lbs.||15"-20"||Basset, Chow, Keeshond, Husky|
|Tall Large||11" x 19 1/2"||13" x 21 5/8"||14 1/16" x 22 9/16"||Taller Dogs 50-95 lbs.||21"-24"||German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever|
|Tall Large Plus||11" x 23 1/2"||13" x 25 5/8"||14 1/16" x 26 9/16"||Tall slender dogs to 110 lbs.||25"-27"||Standard Poodle, Irish Setter, Greyhound|
|Extra Tall Large||11" x 27 1/2"||13" x 29 5/8"||14 1/16" x 30 9/16"||Very tall, slender dogs to 120 lbs.||24"-31"||Afghan, Irish Wolfhound, Borzoi|
|Extra Large||14" x 19 1/2"||16" x 21 5/8"||17 1/16" x 22 9/16"||Large dogs to 120 lbs.||22"-24"||Rottweiler, Akita, Bulldog|
|Extra Large Plus||14" x 23 1/2"||16" x 25 5/8"||17 1/16" x 26 9/16"||Larger dogs to 150 lbs.||25"-27"||St. Bernard, Newfoundland|
|Giant||15 1/2" x 27 1/2"||17 5/8" x 29 5/8"||18 9/16" x 30 9/16"||Most Giant Breeds||25"-31"||Great Dane, Mastiff, Great Pyrenees|
- Flaps: Double flaps (one flap on each door surface) made of flexible 3/16” clear PVC vinyl. Also available in black and white.
- Frame: Extruded heavy aluminum with steel reinforced corners
- Self-Framing: No need to frame out the hole. Fits most doors 1 3/8" to 2" thick
- Inner Frame: Inner frame made of two separate metal extrusions. Three sides entrap the security cover. Both metals are .063” wall thickness.
- Outer Frame: Extruded 6063-T5 aluminum with .063” wall thickness. Designed to sleeve into the inside frame.
- Flange: The outer frame flange is .0:70” smaller than the inner frame flange to allow the frame to sleeve together.
- Energy Efficiency
- Weather Stripping: Flaps are surrounded by ½” nylon pile for maximum insulation. Nylon is woven into a backing 9/32” wide and 1/32” thick.
- Alnico5 Magnets: A ¼” rod magnet 1 ½” long made from an aluminum, nickel and cobalt alloy known for its strength and durability. Door size determines number of magnets.
- Strikes: Made of ferrous stainless steel. 1 ½” long, ¾” tall and 1/32” thick. U shaped with interior prongs, when squeezed onto the vinyl flap, the barbed prongs hold firmly.
- Double Flap: Creates Insulation with dead air space between flaps
- Security Cover: 1/4” thick King Starboard® or 3/16" Lexan® polycarbonate sheet. Extremely shock and impact resistant. Has a 3/8” diameter locking hole and a ¾” diameter handle hole. Can be installed outside or inside. Required drill bits are included.
- Pin Lock: Mounted on the frame secures the cover in place, with a ¼” diameter positive action steel pin encased with 5/32” thick fabricated plated steel.
Hale Pet Door 5 Year No Fault Warranty
Hale Pet Door has been making the highest quality pet doors on the market for over 30 years. Hale uses fully tempered glass of the greatest quality and strength available for each application, and also meets or exceeds all safety glazing laws and codes in the United States. Hale Pet Door guarantees and warrants, that the Hale Pet Door products and component parts thereof shall be free from any defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty period for all Hale Pet Door model pet doors is effective from the date of purchase and extends to the anniversary date marking the end of the fifth year. Hale agrees to exchange or repair at the company's expense, any unit found to be defective in workmanship and/or material, subject to inspection. Hale Pet Door will even credit 50% towards the cost of a replacement Hale Pet Door, any door that was damaged by the customer (due to no fault by Hale Pet Door). Some restrictions apply, for full warranty details - Hale Pet Door Warranty Terms for Pet Pro Supply
Additional Product Details
- Manufacturer - Hale Pet Door
- Your Maximum Pet Size - Cats, Large Cats, Small Dogs, Medium Dogs, Large Dogs, X-Large Dogs, Giant Dogs
- Climate Suitability - Severe-4 Season, Temperate-3 Season
- Wind Resistance - High, Average
- Sealing Value - High, Average
- Frame Material - Extruded Aluminum
- Insulation Value - Average, High
- Possible to Add Additional Magnets for Greater Wind Resistance - Yes
- Flap Material - Vinyl
- Flap Design - Single, Double, One Part , Flexible, Thin Flap
- Flap Colors - Clear
- Flap Thickness - 1/8"
- Replacement Flaps Available - Yes
- Ability to Lock Flap - Separate Locking Cover-Loads from Side or Top
- Locking Cover Material - Polycarbonate
- Can Be Installed In - Glass
Hale Pet Door Size Chart - A Size to Fit Any Animal and Application
Use the chart and information below it to determine the right size door for our pets!
|Model||Size||Flap Opening||Rough Opening||Tip to Tip||Pet Weight||Pet Shoulder Height||Breed Examples|
|A||Small||5 1/2" x 7 1/2"||7 3/8" x 9 3/8"||8 3/8" x 10 3/8"||Very small cats up to 8 lbs.||Up to 7"||Cats (very small only)|
|B||Small Medium||6 1/2" x 9 1/2"||8 1/2" x 11 1/2"||9 9/16" x 12 9/16"||Most cats, small dogs 6-12 lbs.||9"-13"||Cats, Chihuahua, Dachshund, Mini Poodle|
|C||Medium||8 1/2" x 12 1/2"||10 1/2" x 14 1/2"||11 9/16" x 15 3/8"||Dogs 10-35 lbs.||12"-15"||Terriers, Pug, Corgi, Shiba Inu|
|D||Tall Medium||8 1/2" x 16"||10 1/2" x 18"||11 9/16" x 19 1/16"||Tall Dogs 30-45 lbs.||15"-20"||Cocker Spaniel, Sheltie, Beagle|
|E||Large||11" x 16"||13" x 18"||14 1/16" x 19 1/16"||Dogs 40-55 lbs.||15"-20"||Basset, Chow, Keeshond, Husky|
|F||Tall Large||11" x 19 1/2"||13" x 21 5/8"||14 1/16" x 22 9/16"||Taller Dogs 50-95 lbs.||21"-24"||German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever|
|G||Tall Large Plus||11" x 23 1/2"||13" x 25 5/8"||14 1/16" x 26 9/16"||Tall slender dogs to 110 lbs.||25"-27"||Standard Poodle, Irish Setter, Greyhound|
|H||Extra Tall Large||11" x 27 1/2"||13" x 29 5/8"||14 1/16" x 30 9/16"||Very tall, slender dogs to 120 lbs.||24"-31"||Afghan, Irish Wolfhound, Borzoi|
|I||Extra Large||14" x 19 1/2"||16" x 21 5/8"||17 1/16" x 22 9/16"||Large dogs to 120 lbs.||22"-24"||Rottweiler, Akita, Bulldog|
|J||Extra Large Plus||14" x 23 1/2"||16" x 25 5/8"||17 1/16" x 26 9/16"||Larger dogs to 150 lbs.||25"-27"||St. Bernard, Newfoundland|
|K||Giant||15 1/2" x 27 1/2"||17 5/8" x 29 5/8"||18 9/16" x 30 9/16"||Most Giant Breeds||25"-31"||Great Dane, Mastiff, Great Pyrenees|
Measuring Your Pet
There are three measurements to take into consideration when choosing the correct size door for your pet: 1) the width of the passage opening, 2) the height of the opening, and finally 3) the “rise” or the lip at the bottom of the door that the pet must step over to use the door. Use the following guidelines to ensure a proper fit for your pet.
Measurement 1: Width – This is the easy one. Open a door just wide enough for your pet to pass through comfortably and measure the width of the opening, again adding an inch or two for safety. Alternately, you can simply measure your pet at the widest point and add an inch or two for safety. If your pet is long haired, don’t forget that this may make them appear wider than they really are.
Measurement 2: Height—The pet door flaps should be at least an inch or two above the top of your pet’s back not the head. To get this length, measure your pet from the withers (top of the shoulders) to the floor. Remember that your door won’t be placed completely at floor level.
Measurement 3: Rise—This measurement is only applicable for panel models which come with the rise built in. Door, wall, screen, and window models can be mounted at whatever height is comfortable for your pet. If you have a short-legged dog or an older dog that can’t lift his feet very high, or if the door is installed with a step on either side, consider ordering a “no rise” door. Our standard rise is 5” or 10”.
Alternate method: You can also make a sample door opening out of a large piece of cardboard based on the above size chart. Place it in a door opening and experiment with height placement. Order the size most comfortable for your pet.
Points to consider when choosing the correct size and type of pet door
Older pets don’t like to use pet doors that are uncomfortable. Make sure you get a door that your pet will always be able to use. If you currently have a kitten or puppy, remember that they will grow.
Mount the pet door so that it is low enough for your pet to comfortably step over. Young pets can raise their legs up to their chest but older pets may have trouble with this.
Make sure the pet door is tall enough for your pet. Hunching over can be hard on your pet’s hips, especially as they age. And the flaps on your door will last longer if your pet isn’t rubbing against the top of the door as he passes through.
If you have more than one pet, make sure you get a door that will work for all of them: low enough for the shortest one to step over but tall enough for the tallest one to fit through comfortably.
Don’t forget that your pet needs access from both sides of your pet door. If you are installing the door in an area that has steps outside, please take into consideration how your pet will have to get through the door. This is especially true of our panel models. They have a standard rise of 5” but can be ordered with no rise (actually about 1” of frame to step over) instead to make it easier for your pet.
How to Measure for your Pet Door
If you have limited space for your pet door, you need to take into consideration both the rough opening size (the hole cut into your door, wall, etc. represented in green above) and the tip to tip size (the outermost frame measurement represented in beige above). Using the graphic and chart above as a guideline, measure your available area and see which standard size best fits your situation, keeping in mind the size of your animal (see section below about how to measure your pet). If necessary, we can supply a custom size door made to fit your available area while providing the largest possible passage opening for your pet.
How to Measure Your Pet Door for Replacement Flaps
If you need to purchase replacement flaps the size listed on the replacement parts page is the approximate passage opening. The actual flap size is a little narrower and a little taller (due to the top metal bar attachment). If you are not sure of your door size, the easiest measurement to take is the tip to tip size. Measure the outermost frame distance as shown in beige in the graphic above. Use the chart above to translate the tip to tip measurement into a door size and order the appropriate size flaps. If you have a custom size pet door or require further assistance, please call us at 800-646-4773.
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.
What size pet door will I need?
Our pet door comes in 11 standard sizes that fit the smallest cat to Great Danes. We can also make a custom size door if needed. Refer to the Hale Pet Door sizing guide to help you with your choice. Feel free to call customer service if you need more assistance.
Which model is best for me?
We offer 10 different models of pet door for almost any application imaginable. What model you need depends not only on your pet but also on the locations you have available for installation. Our wall model is our most popular model but it doesn’t work for everyone. See the model comparison chart to view the recommended applications of each of our models.
How does a Hale Pet Door™ work?
Our pet doors are designed to be safe, secure and comfortable for your pet. Rather than using hard plastic or two pieces of flexible plastic or any tinted plastic, our flaps are made of clear, flexible vinyl that easily swing in or out when your pet pushes on them. And because our flaps are in one piece, there is nothing for your pet to get caught on as they use the door, even if they change their mind partway through. The magnets hold the flap securely but still gently enough that your pet should have no trouble opening the door.
Why do Hale Pet Doors cost more than other brands?
Our pet doors are made with the highest quality workmanship and of the finest materials available. We use only extruded aluminum framing, pvc vinyl flaps and King Starboard® security covers. Because these materials are superior, our pet doors are much heavier for greater strength and durability.
Can I lock my pet door?
Absolutely. All of our pet doors (except the screen model) come standard with a King Starboard® security cover. Starboard is manufactured for marine applications and is virtually indestructible. This cover can be locked into place with our steel positive action pin lock to make your pet door virtually impregnable.
What prevents insects, rodents or other animals from getting inside?
Hale pet doors are designed to seal very tightly. We use heavy pile weather stripping and strong alnico magnets. Therefore, insects and small animals cannot push their way in through the pet door. Since the flaps are also sealed and do not hang open, larger animals do not see an opening to get started. Most animals need a little conditioning to get used to using a pet door and won’t push against something that isn’t already open. We recommend keeping all food and water away from the area of the pet door, either inside or outside the house, so unwanted animals are not even attracted to the area in the first place. If you have further security or animal intrusion concerns, we offer a full line of security products to complement our pet doors.
What color choices do I have?
Our pet doors come in four standard colors: brushed aluminum (satiny silver color), dark bronze (almost black), Arizona Beige (tan), and white. The brushed aluminum and dark bronze finishes are both anodized aluminum and the white and Arizona Beige finishes are both hard coat paint for durability. We can also mix and match the inside and outside frames of your pet door to match the interior and exterior of your home if desired.
Additionally we have several choices for security covers. Our standard security covers are made of an opaque material and are designed to complement each or our frame colors. (Black with Dark Bronze, Dolphin Gray with Brushed Aluminum, Sanshade with Arizona Beige, and White with White).
For the carpet, white or tan frames will generally come with a brown carpet, and the aluminum or bronze frames come with a black carpet. However, this is based on what we have in stock, and any request to customize the carpet color can delay the order.
Do I have to install my pet door by myself?
With their self framing design, our pet doors are designed to be extremely easy to install. If you have a basic working knowledge of power tools and home repairs, our doors can easily be installed in most applications by any do-it-yourselfer. We have also provided installation instructions for download on this website and we have experienced technicians available for free telephone consultation if desired. Of course, if you don’t want to install your own pet door, we have a large network of franchises and dealers across the country who would be happy to assist you. Feel free to call customer service for a reference.
Want to see how the installation of a Hale Pet Door works before you buy it? Check out our installation guides below, and see how easy Doing It Yourself can be.Wall Model Pet Door Installation
Hale (HL) - Ships FedEx Ground from Canon City, CO
- Door and Wall Model pet doors take 1-5 business days before we are able to ship.
- All other models take 5-10 business days to fabricate and assemble before we are able to ship.
- Add transit time based on map:
LTL FREIGHT SHIPPING INFORMATION
LTL (less-than-truckload) Freight is used when shipments are 120 lb+ or for oversized equipment, which results in a truck with a large container delivering your order. Our freight carrier will contact you once your order makes it to the distribution center closest to the delivery address specified, and set up an appointment time for delivery.
Pet Pro Supply Co. Free LTL Freight Shipping - Curbside Delivery
Our standard Free Freight Shipping option for LTL deliveries is curbside, which is to a delivery to a Commercial Address and does not include a liftgate. If your order is to be shipped freight, you will have the option to specify whether the item will be delivered to a Residential, Limited Access, or Commercial address. If there is no option to select a shipping location, then this cost ia already included in the price.
We strongly recommend adding the optional Liftgate for all deliveries to locations without a loading dock or forklift.
Freight Delivery Locations
This option specifies whether the delivery location is a Commercial, Residential, Residential Business, or a Limited Access address.
- Commercial - These addresses are those defined by our freight carriers and/or zoned by local municipalities as commercial sites. Typically these addresses are zoned as commercial real estate or are used exclusively for business. Most commercial sites have tractor-trailer access and a loading dock.
- Residential - If the address used a residence, select this option. This includes Apartment/Condo complexes and dormitories.
- Residential Business - Any business being operated from a home, apartment, or other dwelling where people live on the premises is considered to be a Residential Business.
- Limited Access - Locations where deliveries are restricted, limited, or very far from a distribution center. Examples Include:
- Place of Worship
- Restricted Areas - Secure Research Facilities, Military Bases/Installations, Correctional Facilities, Government Buildings
- Farms, Ranches, and Rural Areas
- Recreational Areas - Camps, Parks, Fairs, Carnivals, etc.
- Individual Storage Units
- Sites - Convention Centers, Construction Sites, Mines
- Schools and Universities
- Commercial establishments not open to the walk-in public during normal business hours
A liftgate is a hydraulic lift that is attached to the back of a truck that can lower freight to ground level. Freight carriers prevent their drivers from assisting with the unloading of heavy equipment other than using a liftgate to ground level. We highly recommend any delivery address without a loading dock, select this option.
However, please know that for certain very long items, such as Kennels over 6' in length, a Liftgate will not be able to bring the entire order down to ground level. Please have the necessary manpower available to receive your items with limited delay to the driver.
Love the new door. I had issues with the wind blowing the old in-the- slider style doggie door open and with it not being a proper fit. Be prepared to spend a lot for custom glass and a long wait if you don't have an experienced glass company in your area. Took our glass company two times to get it right. That being said, I anticipate saving more on the power bill each month. And it won't take long to pay for itself. The new door has no leaks, doesn't blow open, has much larger magnets, looks much better, and makes it easier to use the sliding patio door. The cheaper doors have magnets that are small enough for a dog to ingest. Very dangerous for puppies that chew. Thanks for offering one item that solved several problems for me.
It's not installed yet due to issues on my end but it is obviously well constructed and will work fine