MIM Dog and Vehicle - Sizing & Measuring
Use the Instructions Below to Determine the Right Variocage for Your Dogs & Vehicles
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any questions at all about measuring or sizing, please Contact Us! We cannot guarantee a return if the incorrect size Variocage is chosen without our recommendations.
Step 1 - Measure Your Dog
To properly measure your dog:
A. Measure the length of your dog, from the tip of the nose to the rump or base of the tail, then add 3 inches to the measurement. The calculated length should be at or shorter than the Variocage's max length.
B. Measure the height of your dog, from floor to the top of the withers (high spot on the back above the shoulders), then add 3 inches to the measurement. The calculated height should be at or shorter than the Variocage's height.
It is important to measure your dog first before measuring your vehicle. Proper fit for your dog is vital to your dog’s comfort and safety. Here are some helpful hints when measuring your dog for a Variocage.
- Hold the measuring tape in one hand and place the free end at the front edge of your dog's nose pulling it straight back to the base of his tail. This will give you the length measurement for your dog. You will need to add Three (3) inches to allow the dog room to turn around in the cage.
- Place the tape at the top of the shoulder and measure down to the floor to get a proper height measurement. Add Three (3) inches to give the dog plenty of room if he wants to stand up.
- Be sure to estimate your dog's adult size if you order his crate while he is still growing. You can check his breed standard to get an estimate of what size he will reach at maturity to make sure your crate is large enough.
- Proper measuring will assure that your pet can comfortably stand, sit, turn around, and lie down in his cage. You can always add a divider panel in the MIM Safe Variocage Double if necessary, and reserve the remaining space until your pet grows into it.
- As a general rule, if you're not sure which size to select, choose a larger size. It is OK to go size a Variocage 1 size larger in almost all cases.
- The bars are spaced in the Variocage according to the breed size that typically fit in a specific Variocage Model. For example, our smallest MiniMax Variocage is suitable for small toy breed dogs but it can also be used to transport cats safely.
Step 2 - Measure Your Vehicle
The MIM Variocage is suitable for use in Station Wagons, Crossovers, Minivans, Vans, and SUV's. The Variocage is also angled towards the top on both the front and the back of the cage and is adjustable in length so it can fit in a variety of vehicles. The slope of the front and back of the cage is approximately the same as the slope of the backseat of most vehicles.
The roof of the cage is shorter in length than the floor in consideration of the angle of the back seat, as well as the angle of the rear entryway door. Measuring length as indicated above will provide for a proper fit in almost all suitable vehicles. The roof of the cage is also narrower in width than the floor to allow for a proper fit in almost all suitable vehicles.
Proper Technique for Measuring Your Vehicle
Check to see if your car has a raised sill at the rear cargo entrance. If the sill is raised, you should put something flat under the cage so its doors can open correctly. We recommend rigid foam board insulation to minimize interference with your car’s crumple zone. The floor of the cargo area should be flat.
- (A) Measure the narrowest usable area across the floor of the cargo area where you would position the crate (Note: The narrowest usable area is often between the rear wheel wells or at the bottom of the cargo door entrance.)
- (B) Measure the usable length of the cargo floor from the back seat to the door sill (Note: The front & back of the cage are angled. Total cage length is approximately 12˝ narrower at the top.)
- (C) Measure the height from the cargo floor to the lowest point at the top of the cargo door entrance (Note: Be sure to measure the shortest point which is often at the sides of the cargo entrance not in the middle.)
You may also use the manufacturer's Vehicle configurator below.
This vehicle configurator is based on European model vehicles which may differ slightly than American car models. Very few American vehicle models are included. You may use this configurator as a point of reference, however we absolutely recommend you double check the measurements of your vehicle to find the best sized Variocage.
Complete Variocage Dimensions
- 2 Dogs without a Divider in a Double or 1 Dog in a Double without the Divider provides more room for the dog(s) in some cases.
- For safety reasons, Foam Board Insulation may be recommended for use to raise the cage a few inches … or to support the cage across a floor gap.
We NEVER recommend traveling with a Variocage installed improperly.
- The 2nd row rear seats must be in the upright position and the Variocage placed against the rear seat.
- The Back End of the Variocage must be placed up against the rear seat.
- We can explain the Crash Engineering Principles behind our cages and will explain the importance and safety of a proper installation if you call us.